Thursday, January 24, 2013

"There is no such word as impossible."

I was standing at the kitchen counter yesterday, scarfing down a bowl of leftover sweet-and-sour chicken and reflecting. Reflecting about my writing, about my goals, and wondering if they were ever going to happen because let's be honest, there are SO MANY great writers out there, way better than I could ever hope to be (no, that's not me fishing for reassurance from anyone, I'm just being perfectly honest). I was right in the middle of reevaluating and telling myself that I probably had pretty lofty goals, that I should adjust my expectations and focus more on reality when Ethan, who was sitting in his Dad's chair with his back to me and lost in his world of playing "Bad Piggies," suddenly blurted out,

"There is no such word as impossible." 

He half-turned and looked at me out of the corner of his eye and said it again, "Mom, there is no such word as impossible."

Then he quietly went back to his "Bad Piggies" world. I stood there for several moments, chills creeping up my arms at the incredible, almost telepathic, timing of my son saying that phrase, a phrase I've never heard him speak before, right when I was in the middle of self-doubting and feeling that perhaps some goals that I want to achieve weren't possible.

After a minute, I smiled to myself and felt a little boost of optimism. And I went over to my computer to write the story down so that in the future, when I look in front of me and see a giant obstacle looming, I will remember to hear a little six-year-old's voice saying,





Join in the fun on Facebook and Twitter!

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think that you both are awesome!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! You obviously are, too! EVERYONE IS AWESOME! ;-)

      Delete
    3. I don't think I can handle all the awesomeness.

      Delete
    4. Ethan is a very smart boy. Also he likes bad piggies which my middle son loves too (he's 5). really though you have great kids, and honestly you are talented because I enjoy reading whatever you post. Oh and i forgot to comment on your picture with the title ..that is awesome.

      Delete
  2. Now if that's not a sign, I don't know what one is.

    I like to remind myself that there are a lot of mediocre writers out there, getting paid to do what they presumably love. why couldn't I be one of those mediocre writer's? No reason I can't one day be. So long as I keep writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you well on your writing journey, Running Mama!

      Delete
    2. I BTW wasn't saying you were mediocre writer, that's me. But if they can do it you surely can

      Delete
    3. Oh well, thank you! And stop calling yourself names... ;-)

      Delete
  3. VERY smart kid ya got there!! And his mom's not too bad either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid reads my mind, too!! So creepy, but cool, right? Mine is never all inspirational and shit, though. He's more like, "Yes, pizza WOULD be a good idea for lunch." How'd you know???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, pizza WOULD be great! It's amazing how smart they are sometimes...

      Delete
  5. Wow! Super weird! But awesome too! Your son is right! Cut that self-doubt out and get on with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something random always kicks me out of my self-doubt reflection. And I self-doubt a ton. What's important is that you/we keep trying no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's reassuring to read that you self-doubt, too. I went through a phase where I did for a week or so last fall, and it was the first time I experienced it and it rocked me a bit. I didn't realize that others went through it, too. Thanks, Christine.

      Delete

I love comments! And feel free to share any post you like or if you know someone who would like it, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...