I seem to be in an animal/insect mode right now so I guess I'll continue on with it and write about some similarities I've noticed with raising kids and having pets. I became aware of this the other day when Brandon was standing up in his high chair, asking for more "chee". I was standing on the other side of the counter that separates the dining room from the kitchen, and I told him to sit, and after he did, I tossed him the cheese. And of course I thought, "wow, that was just like training a dog." And of course, then my mind wandered and I started thinking of all the other ways that kids and pets are similar.
1. Potty training a kid, house training a pet. Either way you're dealing with accidents and cleaning up piss and poo from where it should NOT be.
2. Kids cry and the annoy the shit out of everyone within earshot, dogs bark and annoy the shit out of everyone within earshot.
3. We've received photo Christmas cards of kids. We've received photo Christmas cards of pets.
4. Both kids and pets get treats for being good.
5. Both kids and pets are "trained", and taught to sit, roll over, etcetera.
6. Both kids and pets beg for food when they're not hungry.
7. I swear to God, there have been times when I've heard a cat fight, and discovered it was the baby crying. Likewise, there have been times when I thought I heard the baby crying, and it was a cat fight. They sound eerily similar. When Connor was a baby, he snored and snuffled a lot in his sleep. When he'd be sleeping in the bassinet next to our bed, it sounded like a farm animal in there, I kid you not. It was weird and actually pretty funny, all at the same time. Kids can sound like animals.
8. A drooling dog and teething baby: Both capable of saturating your shirt in seconds.
9. Both dogs and small kids cannot roam free in public. Leash a dog, some people leash their kids. We've managed to forgo the leash somehow, using hands, shopping carts, and a couple of underwear changes for me, but I in no way judge people for leashing their kids. Keep 'em safe, that's the top priority.
10. Butt focus abounds in both: Dogs and cats lick their butts, sometimes for an inordinately long time; well after it's clean. My kids play with theirs. Let's hope mine keep to licking the bathtub, and don't devolve into licking butts.
11. Speaking of butts... Both kids and pets sleep in their parent's bed and annoy the shit out of them. Or is that just us that find the mule kicks and elbows to the jaw annoying? However, at least THIS has never happened to us:
Primarily because we don't own a dog. Photo credit: http://epiclol.com
What other similarities are there? Come on, I know I'm missing many more!