Thursday, January 12, 2012

Remembrances of the Past: Episode 1

The other morning, I woke up all my own, a whopping three minutes before any of the boys did, instead of being ripped from sleep mid-dream, which is my daily morning start! After getting up and getting the boys settled with breakfast, I sat on the couch with my laptop and thought to myself, "What is this feeling?!? It's been so long since this has happened that I've completely forgotten what it feels like!"

What a difference it made to actually wake up on my own. Now this isn't to say that I hopped out of bed doing a happy jig, in a great mood and ready to start my day, but I wasn't immediately grumpy, tired and pissed off about it, while collapsing on the couch and doing my best to recapture sleep and pretending to live a different life while the boys watch a cartoon.

It even took a full 52 minutes before I got mad at one of them! Usually it's approximately 52 seconds since I'm not a morning person at all and my defenses and resiliency are especially low at that time. What a better start to a morning. Certainly better than the day before, when I was jerked out my dream by Connor and stumbled out of bed to the bathroom, where I sat down on a wet toilet seat. Not a good start to the day. Thanks boys, maybe someday your aim will improve.

Anyway, I remember the days of regularly and peacefully waking up on my own, relatively rested. They were nice. And something I definitely took for granted. One of many, many things I, when I was childless, took for granted.


If you now have children, what did you take for granted before you had kids? (I know the list can be endless.)

Join in the fun on Facebook and Twitter!

9 comments:

  1. The ability to travel freely and spend overnights in the woods. Oh, and money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're not a morning person, but I usually try to wake up at least 30 minutes before anyone, kids and Ryan, to have quiet alone time. I enjoy my coffee while watching some kind of smut television in complete and utter silence, it's fantastic and totally worth 30 minutes of lost sleep. :) I feel it makes me a better " daddy" throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's your secret, A.F.? :) So I don't have to get up early because I get that time after Nate goes to work... But do you find that you are like "arrgghhh" when someone does get up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am very annoyed when anyone wakes up and intrudes on ME time.... But usually for the most part, it's just me, coffee & TiVo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a GREAT time! Remember when we didn't have to sacrifice to have "me" time? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. being able to run, as regularly and as far as I wanted. 3wks ago when I got my once a wk run in. I remember struggling at a mile and half, cheering myself on, to get to mile 2 (my goal) and thinking I remember when 8 to 10 miles was fun. am I ever gonna get there again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are a trouper! That's a lot of miles, I hope you get there again!

      Delete
  7. Me too. my hubby too, I'm pretty sure he's over the chunky, crabby wife bit.

    good thing we have a cute lol monster to distract us

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! And feel free to share any post you like or if you know someone who would like it, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...